For the last couple of days I have had my students now combine their pictures and scripts in electronic format so they would all fit together. To facilitate this, I use Moodle as an electronic file organizer. I gave everybody their pictures that had been reduced in size through moodle and also gave them all a template into which they should insert their pictures and copy and paste their texts.
This template was basically a table with room at the top for a title for each page they were working on. To simplify matters, I asked everybody to make each title correspond to their names: MattA, MattB, MattC, etc. I showed them how to insert a picture and make the text wrap around it (right click on the picture; choose text wrapping; choose square). An example of a finished page follows:
The trick here is keeping all the links to the next part straight. As you will note at the bottom of the page, the name of the link follows the action, in this case “MattB” or “JessieA.” In this way I can easily keep track of where to make the hyperlinks and track what goes to where.
Now I have to admit that Matt, who created the above sample is one of my more on-track students and had no trouble following these directions. Others…not so much. For their benefit (and mine) then I asked each group to mark up their wall planners. First of all, I asked them to write on the planner who was working on what section. In the picture below, you can see what part Ruben did, what part Aaron did and what part Eric did. In addition to these labels, I then had them put in the respective “A, B, C, D, etc.” of each section so I would be able to reconstruct what section linked to what section. This will be helpful to me if somebody isn’t very exact, but it is also helpful to them because they can see what links to write down in their write-ups.
Finally, I had them put big X marks through the sections that were finished combining text, pictures and links. This way when if one person finished way ahead of their group and somebody else in the group was dragging their feet, I could reassign sections and easily point out where the work needed to be done.
This last combination/write up stage has now gone for a couple days, but we’re just wrapping up now. If I had to do it again, I probably wouldn’t bother with the tables because they can be fiddly at times; next time I would just have everybody put their page title at the top of the page, and drop in their text and pictures below them. Much simpler, and then I would copy and paste these finished segments into tables myself as part of my final edit.
Next step: inserting the hyperlinks and wrapping up